Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Migraines

Nearly 37 million Americans suffer from migraines.  The number is staggering.  My heart goes out to everyone who suffers.  The best thing you can do for yourself is find the right doctor. 

My first migraine attack happened when I was in first grade.  I had been outside on recess when my head began to hurt and my stomach didn't feel so good.  I told my teacher I needed to go home, but since it was so close to the end of the school day she didn't even allow me to go see the nurse.  

On the bumpy bus ride home it happened.  My lunch found its way to the floor.  I don't know which was worse, having the migraine or the embarrassment that went with my lunch being on the floor.

I'm now forty-four years old.  My migraines have evolved over the years from what I consider a 'normal' migraine (one lasting from one to three days, to the one's that cause temporary vision problems, to finally the female version of Clusters.

I thought I would die during the three years it took to be diagnosed.  But finally I found Dr. Carol Foster.  She was the first doctor to truly listen to me, listen to the symptoms I described, listen to what I thought was wrong with me (self-diagnosis).

Dr. Foster concurred.  With the right medications, diet, and exercise she had me on the road to recover on the first visit, something doctors had been unable to do for the nearly three years prior. My family and I will be forever grateful.  

Through her, I also discovered my number one trigger wasn't orange juice but soy.  And let me tell you, I cried the first I went to the grocery store after discover that because soy is in almost everything.  I had to adapt.  I began creating my own trigger-free recipes.  The first recipe I will share is my famous Baked French Toast.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment